Saturday 14 July 2012

Female Chauvinist Pigs?

I've just started reading Ariel Levy's Female Chauvinist Pigs; this might be something that I need to reread several times just to form a solid opinion on her writing.  At least when I was reading Greer or Levenson I knew as I was reading what I identified with and what I rejected.  With Levy I'm torn.  On one hand, I agree that (some) women are demeaning their selves and flaunting themselves as objects; I've lived in Birmingham for two years and been to the party scene, witnessed this degradation and even borne the brunt of it myself when two men decided to push their luck with my boundaries.  I've always been morally against Playboy and Hugh Hefner, even when as a teenager most of my friends had pencil casing sporting the Bunny Logo.  However, there is something in the writing style of Levy that baffles me.  Hopefully I'll understand why there is a niggling feeling inside of me that says, Something is not quite right with this book.  


Keep your eyes on this space for more of my thoughts of Female Chauvinist Pigs.  

Over and Out,
Faye Stone
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment